Tuesday 5 July 2011

Anti-Arrhythmic Agents

Singh Vaughan Williams classification of antiarrhythmic agents
1.       Class I agents interfere with the sodium (Na+) channel.
2.       Class II agents are anti-sympathetic nervous system agents.
Most agents in this class are beta blockers.
3.       Class III agents affect potassium (K+) efflux.
4.       Class IV agents affect calcium channels and the AV node.
5.       Class V agents work by other or unknown mechanisms.

Class
Known as
Examples
Mechanism
Ia
Na+ channel blockers
(Na+) channel block (intermediate association/dissociation)
Ib
(Na+) channel block (fast association/dissociation)
Ic
(Na+) channel block (slow association/dissociation)
II
Beta-blockers
beta blocking
Propranolol also shows some class I action
III
K+ channel blockers
IV
L-type Ca2+ channel blockers
V
Miscellaneous
Work by other or unknown mechanisms (Direct nodal inhibition).



1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their email at ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete